Friday, June 22, 2012

The Island President and Secret Screening Orange

Saturday at True/False started at 10.30 am with The Island President. Directed by Jon Shenk, The Island President documents the story of President Mohamed Nasheed's first year in office as President of The Maldives.
The Maldives is a nation of a string of 2000 islands in the Pacific. When President Nasheed was elected, the country had been under the military dictatorship of the former President for 30 years. The most pressing issue facing President Nasheed was climate change. As The Maldives are only 1.5 meters above sea level, as the earth's temperature and ocean's rise, The Maldives and its people face extinction. President Nasheed states, "It won't be any good to have a democracy if we don't have a country." This film shows what he goes through and what he is willing to do to save his country and his people culminating in his game-changing speech at the Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009.

I loved this movie. It was humorous, inspiring, serious and educational. It made me realize that as well read on world politics as I think I am, that I really am not and that I need to correct that. Here is a link to a news website on the Maldives. http://www.democracymaldives.com/ The cinematography is beautiful and the soundtrack by Radiohead adds and isn't distracting. I ranked this movie #2 out of 9. If you get the chance, please go see The Island President.

The next movie I saw on Saturday was Secret Screening Orange. Here is the deal about Secret Screenings, they are like Fight Club. First rule about Secret Screenings, you can't write about Secret Screenings. Here is what I can tell you. The directors wanted to cut four minutes from the movie and were using us as guinea pigs. My answer?  Yes!  Please cut at least four minutes from this incredibly depressing movie. Please.

Finally, I didn't get to see this one, but in between The Island President and Secret Screening Orange the Man and the girl-child went to see Searching for Sugar Man. It's the story about a musician from the '70s who didn't really hit it big, or apparently even hit it little, disappeared amongst all these bizarre death story rumors and then somehow his music gets to South Africa during Apartheid and he becomes bigger than Elvis. Seriously. Only no one knows if he is even alive. Man and girl both loved this movie. One ranked it #1 and one ranked it #2. So, I'm sorry I missed it.

Next up...Vivan Las Antipodas! and Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope.

www.truefalse.org

No comments:

Post a Comment