Friday, June 22, 2012

DC Cab - Updated

I hate flagging down taxis.  In my hometown, there is zero reason to ever have to flag a cab.  Quite frankly the driver would probably think you were waving at him and just wave back.

When I am in a big city and trying to get a taxi, I can act like I am waving down a rescue plane and still not get a taxi to pick me up.  Apparently, I don't "own" it.  Whatever.  Do people just randomly stand on the side of the road in big cities?  Just stop the car and pick me up!  I tip well.  I promise.

I think I have found a new way to hail a cab.  It is fairly easy and I think it will work for almost everyone.  No "owning" involved.  First, go outside your hotel and wander around.  Look lost and confused, walk toward the taxi, hesitate and then stand still.  The nice Ethiopian taxi driver will then take pity on you and yell out the window wanting to know if you need a taxi.  You reply, "Yes, thank you."  I cannot stress enough the importance of politeness.  He will then take you where you need to be while the two of you discuss the dubious wonder of snow (a  lesson learned from Miss Marianne Dashwood).  Arrive, pay, tip, and get receipt. 

Voila!  Success.

This foolproof (or perhaps foolish) method has worked for me two whole times... in a row.  (In the interest of full disclosure, the second time I had to discuss rain.)

**UPDATE**--Well, the Ethiopian cab driver was super nice, but the Indian cab driver was super nice AND told me how to flag a cab and waited to make sure I made it across the street to the right building.  I have been in seven different cab with drivers of seven different nationalities, yet one thing remains the same.  They all listen to NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment